Monday, September 17, 2012

The Walks

The walks
When I first started walking in the countryside around Olvera I discovered
that there were no formal walks laid out as would be in England. You went out into the campo and found your own trails. You could follow your nose, but you soon
found a fence or a gate. Olvera is a farming community and wandering about on
somebody else's land is frowned upon. Unless they know you. Then it's OK.
When I walked in the North England if we strayed from the footpath we
would be met by an irate farmer, who would ask where you were going and did you know that you were trespassing on his land. Take a picnic into the countryside and you will soon have a farmer in wellies and a flat cap wanting to know what the hell you were doing on his land.
Olvera is slightly different. If you bring a picnic you will still be met by a
farmer in a flat cap and boots. (Exactly the same as a Yorkshire flat cap, but Spain is a lot dryer than England so wellies are not needed.....unless you farm pigs.)
He will introduce himself, shake hands with you, ask you where you are from, kiss your wife on both cheeks and introduce himself to your children. He may invite you to meet his family too, and at some point will tactfully explain that you would be welcome again on his land, but next time, you must ask his permission first.
I have been followed by farmers on quad bikes who never got close until they had made sure I did not have a gun. (Hunting is a very carefully controlled sport in Andalucia. I will explain why later.) They had seen my little Jack Russell, who was a dead ringer for a Podenko hunting dog in profile, but gave the game away by having a white body. Once they realized I was a tourist I was left alone. I should explain that Podenkos are small to medium sized dogs that are trained for hunting rabbits as gun dogs.
They are nearly always a uniform ginger brown colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment