Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Carnaval Poster 2010

In October 2009 I saw an flyer for a competition to paint a poster to advertise the local Carnaval. I had a friend in a bar at that time, who was a mine of information about old Olvera. Together we concocted a poster that would show Olvera at the turn of the century and the Carnaval games they played. This was pre-Franco, when Spain had a zest for life and living that had not been dulled by the terrible civil war years.
The poster was based on the fact that before pipes had been laid in the streets of Olvera the water was delivered in earthenware jars called cántaros. The jars of water were delivered by horse and cart around the streets. After the pipes were laid in the village around 1914 the jars were no longer needed. Water was on tap in every house.

The game in the streets at Carnaval time was to toss a full jar of water between a group of people and see who dropped it first. If you dropped it, you were out. They had an abundance of empty useless jars.
I have felt the weight of these jars when they are full of water and this game is not easy.
Buns, cakes and biscuits would be brought out, all made by the families in the street. A swing was strung between the windows of houses across the street and the children queued to have a ride.
As I painted this picture I was guided and advised by my friend and half of the people in the bar. The end result was that I entered and won the competition.
Without the help of my Spanish friends I could not have won.
For a week I was famous in Olvera and even had a standing ovation in the theatre when I was applauded for my contribution to Carnaval week.
To see all of the pictures on artistandalucia click here
In the year following I was at a street party when modern, but slightly smaller, Canteros were brought out for the children to throw to each other with adults, just like their great grand parents did.
This was just before Chirigota when groups of local people don fancy dress and sing very critical songs about their government and country.
In England we have dull party political broadcasts. In America the flash candidates debate on TV.
 In Andalucia  people sing their hearts out with poetry set to music wearing the most outrageous original costumes. This is how politics should be done! Viva Espana!
   
Chirigota in Andalucia is a huge subject and deserves much more time. I will save it for later.    



No comments:

Post a Comment